WATERFALL PICNIC RIDE
Enjoy a unique Kauai horse back tour! Your 3.5-hour adventure begins with brief horsemanship instructions before you depart on our gentle horses. In contrast to the usual nose-to-tail experience, you’ll ride at a leisurely pace (walking only) across the open pastures of our north shore Kauai ranch. Along the way, you’ll soak up breathtaking views of mountains, valleys and the ocean. Your guide will share our Kauai ranch and cowboy history.
But this Kauai adventure is more than a horseback ride! After tying up the horses, you’ll hike down a steep trail with steps and rope handholds. Winding through the lush rainforest, you’ll traverse streams, on your way to a secluded 80-foot waterfall. It’s all yours for an hour! Explore the falls, and swim in the fern-lined pool. Then relax and enjoy a delicious picnic, before the 15-minute hike out. This hike includes a waterfall crossing and a scramble up a 10-foot rock wall, where you’ll be secured by a safety belt and assisted by your guide. You’ll be amazed at the view of the waterfall tiers – from the top down!
Your trusty steed welcomes you once again, as your adventure ends with a leisurely ride back across open pastures, enjoying the spectacular scenery. It’s Kauai horseback riding at its best!
GUIDES AND TACK:
All rides are led by trained professional guides certified in First Aid and CPR and equipped with two-way radios and first aid kits. We provide western saddles only. Helmets are available upon request and are required for children ages 8-12.
WHAT TO WEAR & BRING:
- Sneakers or hiking boots. No “5-finger” toe shoes, aqua socks or Crocs. Rental shoes available (all-terrain @ $5.00).
- Long pants recommended
- Wear a swimsuit under clothes or bring along for swimming
- Towel and sunscreen
- Hat and insect repellent
- 8 years or older, 250 lbs. maximum weight, 6’5″ maximum height. No expectant mothers.
- Height-to-weight ratios apply. Please call for details or click here to view a chart.
- Guests must be in good physical condition. The hike is rated moderate-to-difficult and includes a steep trail, up and down (500-foot gain) and rough hewn steps with rope handholds. The hike out hike includes a waterfall crossing and a scramble up a 10-foot rock wall, where you’ll be secured by a safety belt and assisted by your guide.
CHILDREN ON TOUR:
- Children age 16 & 17 may tour without an adult. A parent must sign a liability waiver at check-in.
- Children age 8 to 15 must be accompanied on tour by an adult who is at least 18 years old.
A delicious picnic is included: make-your-own deli sandwich on pita bread (with veggie option), potato chips and a cookie.
Available Monday through Saturday
- Check-in 8 (June through August)
- Check-in 9
- Check-in Noon
- Check-in 1
Tours go out rain or shine. In the event we determine weather is hazardous, we may cancel the tour and guests may be rescheduled.
CHECK-IN OFFICE LOCATION:
We are located on the island of Kaua’i, on the north shore in Princeville. The GPS coordinates for our Check-In Office are 22º12’32”N 159º27’44”W. Our Office is on the ocean side of Highway 56. Look for the green and yellow flags and the circular “Princeville Ranch Adventures” signs.
From Princeville Resorts & North: PRA is located on the left hand (ocean) side of Kuhio Highway. If coming from the Princeville resorts, turn left onto Kuhio Highway, and we are the next left (Kapaka Rd.) off the highway. If you are coming from destinations north of Hanalei, follow the highway south into Princeville, and go ½ mile past the Princeville Shopping Center. Turn left at Kapaka Rd. at the yellow and green flags. See you soon!
From the South: Follow Rt. 56 (Kuhio Highway) north to Princeville. You will pass the towns of Kapaa, Anahola, and Kilauea. Cross over the Kalihiwai Bridge, and go past Princeville airport about two miles. We are just past mile marker 27, on the right hand (ocean) side of Kuhio Hwy., at the cross road of Kapaka Road. Turn right on to Kapaka Rd. at the green and yellow flags. Church of Pacific is also at this intersection. If you get to the Princeville Shopping Center, you’ve passed us by a ½ mile. See you soon!
Having trouble finding us? Please call 808-826-7669.
CANCELLATIONS AND CHANGES:
- 48-hour notice of cancellation for groups of 5 or less.
- 72-hour notice of cancellation for groups of 6 or more.
- Cancellation/changes or no-shows that fall outside of these policies will be charged the FULL AMOUNT of the tour.